Ryerson Digital Media ZoneJuly 25, 2011 at 5:10 am | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: Accelorators, Angel Investors, Incubators, Innovation, Network Analysis, Ontario, Research, Social Media, Startups, Technology, VC
Ryerson University’s Digital Media Zone (DMZ) is a workplace designed for young entrepreneurs, infused with the energy and resources of downtown Toronto. It’s a place where students and alumni come to innovate, collaborate and market their products and services, and where commercial enterprises can turn to for progressive and creative digital solutions.
A unique characteristic about the DMZ is that it cultivates the idea of being a company within a company. The Zone offers numerous resources such as Start Me Up, a program created by Students In Free Enterprise (SIFE Ryerson), that nurtures entrepreneurial ideas by giving new business creators information and advice on business planning, presenting, funding, patents, marketing and more.
Young people, by nature, possess an entrepreneurial spirit. They are driven to fill the gap between what they want and what is available. What they lack are the resources and experience that turn their ideas into reality. The DMZ provides them with a group of like-minded individuals for collaboration; the necessary overhead assistance which includes open, flexible workspace, equipment, utilities; services such as business plan counselling, mentoring, workshops, networking and industry showcasing, at no cost to the user. With significantly reduced start-up costs, entrepreneurs are able to focus on getting their product out the door and launch their own small businesses, at the same time.
This is Ryerson’s investment in the knowledge-based economy.
Leave a Comment »
Ontario Cross-border Technology Innovation Ecosystem Study
Are you a Founder, Advisor, Investor or Service Provider?
The study will help you understand how your network can better be utilized and grown to result in start-up funding success.
If you are or have advised, founded, consulted, invested in or provided a service to atleast one Ontario based technology/media start-up over the last five years, please fill out and share our survey: http://bit.ly/pQENCd.
A copy of the final report will be sent to you.
- Canada’s VC Blueprint: Review in Global Context with Olav Sorenson, Yale School of Management
- Coral CEA and the Digital Media Zone build on an ecosystem to expand Ontario’s software capabilities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers participation confirmed
- GrandBanks Capital participation confirmed
- FreshBooks participation confirmed
- RT @AlexOverwijk: Interested in spiralling your math course -join me and @MrSoclassroom tonight teachontario.ca/events/1417 #teachontario #tvo… 5 days ago
- RT @markrmcqueen: .@Shopify is trading above C$95, less than two years after its US$17/share #IPO. #Ottawa 1 week ago
- RT @gfearnall: Great momentum for @WaveHQ as they continue to simplify accounting for small business #BDCfintech. Valued partner of @OnDec… 2 weeks ago
- RT @PoolPartners: Join us on May 30-31 at the Deep Technology Exchange, connecting #cdntech to Chinese growth capital https://t.co/s1QvhIkN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @cdlingHQ: @N_Clermont @stephanecardin twitter.com/GuidoKerkhof/s… 4 weeks ago