OMERS participation confirmedOctober 3, 2011 at 4:32 am | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: Accelorators, Angel Investors, Incubators, Innovation, Network Analysis, Ontario, Research, Social Media, Startups, Technology, VC
OCTIE welcomes OMERS Strategic Investments.
OMERS Strategic Investments was conceived in 2008 and formally established in January 2009 as an innovative concept under the OMERS enterprise-wide Strategic Plan approved by the OAC Board. OMERS Strategic Investments is not an investment entity whose primary focus is to source and manage investment assets. Rather, its mission is to drive certain corporate initiatives that will position OMERS as a global player, incubate investment platforms that do not logically fit under the mandates of OMERS existing Investment Entities and further differentiate OMERS from conventional pension funds by burnishing its reputation as a pension-based investment enterprise unlike any other in the world.
OSI is an extension of the OMERS corporate office and has overarching objectives that actively actively engage, and substantively augment the future engage, and substantively augment the future of, the existing Investment Entities and Pension Services. The objectives established in 2008 are:
- To establish OMERS global footprint through a network of offices to showcase the depth and breadth of expertise behind OMERS brand to strategically important investors and operating businesses around the world.
- To raise capital for OMERS Investment Entities both domestically and outside Canada.
- To supplement OMERS corporate strategy by creating global investment platforms that would not otherwise exist and could ultimately be transferred to the IEs, established as standalone platforms, or sold to third party investors.
Mr. John Ruffolo, Senior Vice President & Head of Knowledge Investing, also serves as the Co-CEO of OMERS Ventures.
OCTIE welcomes the participation of OMERS Ventures.
Is your company well on your way to success, and looking for additional resources and expertise to help get you there?
They are OMERS Ventures and they are as passionate about your success as you are about your company. They are looking for like-minded partners who have a shared vision of building a vibrant and successful Canadian knowledge economy.
OMERS Ventures is the venture capital arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with over $53 billion in net assets. For more information, please visit www.omersworldwide.com
You might say OMERS Ventures is your “Institutional Angel.” Like an angel investor, they understand the urgency of day-to-day priorities and critical milestones for your business.
As institutional investors, they also have long-term investment horizons. They recognize that business moves fast, but success takes time.
At OMERS Ventures, they’re thinking in new ways to help build your business at every stage.
OMERS Ventures is focused primarily on investments in the Technology, Media, Telecommunications, Clean Technology and Life Sciences sectors.
They are seeking partners with strong entrepreneurial teams who can build long lasting companies in emerging global markets. Their approach is to find visionary entrepreneurs and give them the support they need to continue to build their great companies.
OMERS Ventures is committed to being a trusted partner for their portfolio companies, providing the support and resources that allow them to grow and succeed over the long term.
ABP is the pension fund for employers and employees in service of the Dutch government and the educational sector. All of their 2.6 million customers have the assurance of income security against the following events: disability, death and pension, all based on solidarity and non-profit. Their office is in Heerlen, the Netherlands.
OMERS is a fully integrated global financial services organization and one of Canada’s largest pension funds. It is a jointly-sponsored, multi-employer defined benefit pension plan that provides retirement benefits to more than 400,000 members. The OMERS Worldwide brand represents a number of investment entities, including OMERS Strategic Investments, OMERS Private Equity, OMERS Capital Markets, OMERS Investment Management Inc., Borealis Infrastructure, and Oxford Properties Group. OMERS was recently named 2010 Pension Fund of the Year, Canada by World Finance magazine. To find out more about OMERS please visit www.omers.com
Leave a Comment »
Ontario Cross-border Technology Innovation Ecosystem Study
Are you a Founder, Advisor, Investor or Service Provider?
The study will help you understand how your network can better be utilized and grown to result in start-up funding success.
If you are or have advised, founded, consulted, invested in or provided a service to atleast one Ontario based technology/media start-up over the last five years, please fill out and share our survey: http://bit.ly/pQENCd.
A copy of the final report will be sent to you.
- Canada’s VC Blueprint: Review in Global Context with Olav Sorenson, Yale School of Management
- Coral CEA and the Digital Media Zone build on an ecosystem to expand Ontario’s software capabilities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers participation confirmed
- GrandBanks Capital participation confirmed
- FreshBooks participation confirmed
- RT @AlexOverwijk: Interested in spiralling your math course -join me and @MrSoclassroom tonight teachontario.ca/events/1417 #teachontario #tvo… 5 days ago
- RT @markrmcqueen: .@Shopify is trading above C$95, less than two years after its US$17/share #IPO. #Ottawa 1 week ago
- RT @gfearnall: Great momentum for @WaveHQ as they continue to simplify accounting for small business #BDCfintech. Valued partner of @OnDec… 2 weeks ago
- RT @PoolPartners: Join us on May 30-31 at the Deep Technology Exchange, connecting #cdntech to Chinese growth capital https://t.co/s1QvhIkN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @cdlingHQ: @N_Clermont @stephanecardin twitter.com/GuidoKerkhof/s… 4 weeks ago