Mozilla participation confirmedOctober 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: Accelorators, Angel Investors, Incubators, Innovation, Network Analysis, Ontario, Research, Social Media, Startups, Technology, VC
OCTIE welcomes the participation of Mozilla.
Mozilla is an international non-profit organization with a mission to preserve choice, openness, and innovation on the Internet. As part of its mission, Mozilla develops and distributes free open source software including Mozilla Firefox, a web browser, and Thunderbird, a mail client. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, Mozilla has over 400 full-time staff and thousands of volunteers worldwide with offices in San Francisco, Auckland, Beijing, Paris, Tokyo and Toronto.
The Mozilla project was created in 1998 with the release of the Netscape browser suite source code that was intended to harness the creative power of thousands of programmers on the Internet and fuel unprecedented levels of innovation in the browser market. Within the first year, new community members from around the world had already contributed new functionality, enhanced existing features and became engaged in the management and planning of the project itself.
By creating an open community, the Mozilla project had become larger than any one company. Community members got involved and expanded the scope of the project’s original mission—instead of just working on Netscape’s next browser, people started creating a variety of browsers, development tools and a range of other projects. People contributed to Mozilla in different ways, but everyone was passionate about creating free software that would enable people to have a choice in how they experienced the Internet.
What they do
What they strive for
As a non-profit organization, they define success in terms of building communities and enriching people’s lives instead of benefiting shareholders. They believe in the power and potential of the Internet and want to see it thrive for everyone, everywhere.
Who they work with
Building a better Internet is an ambitious goal, but they believe that it is possible when people who share their passion get involved. Coders, artists, writers, testers, surfers, students, grandparents—anyone who cares about the web can help make it even better. Find out how you can help.
What drives them
Read the Mozilla Manifesto to learn more about the values and principles that guide the pursuit of their mission.
Mozilla is an open source project governed as a meritocracy. Their community is structured as a virtual organization where authority is distributed to both volunteer and employed community members as they show their abilities through contributions to the project.
Learn more about who is involved with governance and how their global community works together on their common mission.
With thanks to Mark Surman, Executive Director.
Leave a Comment »
Ontario Cross-border Technology Innovation Ecosystem Study
Are you a Founder, Advisor, Investor or Service Provider?
The study will help you understand how your network can better be utilized and grown to result in start-up funding success.
If you are or have advised, founded, consulted, invested in or provided a service to atleast one Ontario based technology/media start-up over the last five years, please fill out and share our survey: http://bit.ly/pQENCd.
A copy of the final report will be sent to you.
- Canada’s VC Blueprint: Review in Global Context with Olav Sorenson, Yale School of Management
- Coral CEA and the Digital Media Zone build on an ecosystem to expand Ontario’s software capabilities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers participation confirmed
- GrandBanks Capital participation confirmed
- FreshBooks participation confirmed
- RT @AlexOverwijk: Interested in spiralling your math course -join me and @MrSoclassroom tonight teachontario.ca/events/1417 #teachontario #tvo… 5 days ago
- RT @markrmcqueen: .@Shopify is trading above C$95, less than two years after its US$17/share #IPO. #Ottawa 1 week ago
- RT @gfearnall: Great momentum for @WaveHQ as they continue to simplify accounting for small business #BDCfintech. Valued partner of @OnDec… 2 weeks ago
- RT @PoolPartners: Join us on May 30-31 at the Deep Technology Exchange, connecting #cdntech to Chinese growth capital https://t.co/s1QvhIkN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @cdlingHQ: @N_Clermont @stephanecardin twitter.com/GuidoKerkhof/s… 4 weeks ago