Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre participation confirmedOctober 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: Accelorators, Angel Investors, Incubators, Innovation, Network Analysis, Ontario, Research, Social Media, Startups, Technology, VC
OCTIE welcomes the participation of the Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre (SSMIC).
By developing innovative partnerships with industry, government, and other public organizations, the SSMIC is a catalyst for change. A partner of the Ontario’s Network of Excellence [ONE], they promote and assist in the development of knowledge based industries in the Algoma District as a means to diversify the economy of the region and build a strong, stable economic base. Their activities include partnering and business development, accessing national and international markets, promotion and awareness, building human resources and enabling other economic sectors through the use of information technology.
SSMIC is an organization expanding its expertise to nurture new ideas enabling the use of existing and emerging technologies and leveraging the development of public and private sector partnerships to promote economic diversification.
To lead in creating and adding value to new and existing businesses and developing creative partnerships in applied technology to enhance the economic benefits for business and communities.
- To create business opportunities that secure national or international knowledge-based business presence in the community.
- To develop opportunities for expansion and diversification of businesses directly, or through partnership development.
- To promote, develop and future new businesses.
- To foster development of new ideas and local initiatives that enhances wealth and job creation in the community and beyond.
- To create a critical mass of expertise in information technology and management, and geomatics, that stimulate innovation, capitalize on economies of scale, and support new and existing business opportunities.
- To ensure that the Innovation Centre remains solvent and sustainable fulfilling its mission, meeting the goals and objectives of its strategy, and providing value added to the community.
- To establish innovative business-to-business partnerships or alliances which promote synergy and foster effective and efficient business opportunities.
- To enhance the understanding and use of innovation and enabling technologies by businesses so they can empower new knowledge for personal and professional benefit.
- To develop communication venues that promote community awareness, engage local entrepreneurs, and foster acceptance.
- To build financial equity in developing a vibrant and strong organization.
The SSMIC was established in 1999 to drive business growth, facilitate research and commercialize innovation in globally significant areas of science and technology through partnerships, expert advice, community development, business incubation, youth outreach and sector development activities.
SSMIC delivers on these objectives by:
- Supporting start-ups, enabling entrepreneurs to establish and grow their businesses through business incubation services, assisting in the acquisition of funding and mentoring resources.
- Facilitating and driving collaborative, leading edge research involving academia, industry and government research labs.
- Building capacity in key knowledge areas and enriching innovation talent.
- Creating awareness of regional strengths to attract investment and business.
- Conducting youth outreach programs.
- Developing strategic sectors aligned with areas of community strength.
With thanks to the SSMIC Executive Director, Tom Vair, and the Board Directors:
- Chris Wray, Board Chairperson and Chair of Nominating Committee
- Kelly McLellan, Treasurer and Chair of Finance Committee
- Dereck Whitmell, Secretary
- Mayor Debbie Amaroso (Ex-Officio)
- Steve Butland
- Sang-Hyun Cho
- Dr. Ron Common
- Marc Dube
- Jim Harmar
- Fred Lalonde
- Dr. Richard Myers
- Art Osborne
- Lisa Richter
- Leslie Smith
Leave a Comment »
Ontario Cross-border Technology Innovation Ecosystem Study
Are you a Founder, Advisor, Investor or Service Provider?
The study will help you understand how your network can better be utilized and grown to result in start-up funding success.
If you are or have advised, founded, consulted, invested in or provided a service to atleast one Ontario based technology/media start-up over the last five years, please fill out and share our survey: http://bit.ly/pQENCd.
A copy of the final report will be sent to you.
- Canada’s VC Blueprint: Review in Global Context with Olav Sorenson, Yale School of Management
- Coral CEA and the Digital Media Zone build on an ecosystem to expand Ontario’s software capabilities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers participation confirmed
- GrandBanks Capital participation confirmed
- FreshBooks participation confirmed
- RT @AlexOverwijk: Interested in spiralling your math course -join me and @MrSoclassroom tonight teachontario.ca/events/1417 #teachontario #tvo… 5 days ago
- RT @markrmcqueen: .@Shopify is trading above C$95, less than two years after its US$17/share #IPO. #Ottawa 1 week ago
- RT @gfearnall: Great momentum for @WaveHQ as they continue to simplify accounting for small business #BDCfintech. Valued partner of @OnDec… 2 weeks ago
- RT @PoolPartners: Join us on May 30-31 at the Deep Technology Exchange, connecting #cdntech to Chinese growth capital https://t.co/s1QvhIkN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @cdlingHQ: @N_Clermont @stephanecardin twitter.com/GuidoKerkhof/s… 4 weeks ago