RIC Centre participation confirmedDecember 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment
Tags: Accelorators, Angel Investors, Incubators, Innovation, Network Analysis, Ontario, Research, Social Media, Startups, Technology, VC
OCTIE welcomes the participation of The Research, Innovation, Commercialization (RIC) Centre.
The RIC Centre, Peel Region’s hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, was launched in 2008 as a not-for-profit organization supporting the development of innovation and entrepreneurship in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon. RIC Centre provides commercialization support to help new entrepreneurs and seasoned business people take technical innovations to market.
The RIC Centre provides important services to start-ups and SMEs such as market research, mentoring and coaching and strategic planning. They also provide entrepreneurial training with their monthly ‘Growing Your Business’ sessions and connections to investors, through their relationship with Maple leaf Angels.
Since 2008, RIC has worked with over 150 companies, and 46% of all successful clients at RIC have either received funding or been introduced to funding sources and investors.
RIC Centre offers a comprehensive range of supporting activities for entrepreneurs including practical training and networking events. Their experienced advisors and Entrepreneurs in Residence guide their clients every step of the way.
RIC Centre works with innovators in a range of sectors, including:
Their Vision and Their Mission
To build an innovation ecosystem to support community prosperity in Peel Region. To facilitate connections between the entrepreneurial imagination and practical resources for commercialization.
- Represent the cluster, and collaborate with other nearby clusters.
- Develop the business environment in order to attract and grow large established firms, as well as more indigenous young firms.
- Develop the human resource environment through formal academic programs and informal training and mentoring.
- Develop the community environment to improve the health and welfare of local citizens.
The management team includes:
John Switzer – Chair
Pam Banks – Executive Director
Tim Scott – Entrepreneur-in-Residence
James Sbrolla – Entrepreneur-in-Residence
The Advisory Board includes:
John Switzer – Founder of Winesights Inc.
Sheldon Leiba – President of the Mississauga Board of Trade
Adolf Proietta – Managing Director of A.V.More
Ulrich Krull – Vice-Principal of Research at University of Toronto Mississauga
Bryan Watson – Executive Director of NACO
David Arbuckle – Manager of Public Policy and Government Relations in Region of Peel
Kevin French – Life Sciences and Health Services at RBC Royal Bank
Steve D’Agostino – Founder and President of Avega
Darren Lawless – Dean of Applied Research at Sheridan College
Fred Haussman – Managing Director of Funding Research and Development Group Inc.
John Oxley – Director Breath Technical Evangelism at Microsoft
Gary Kent – Corporate Strategy and Innovation City Manager’ Office for City of Mississauga
Cassey DiBattista – Owner of FT Consultants
Susan Amring – Manager of the Economic Development Office for City of Mississauga
Steven Desrocher – President of ASI Technologies
Nancy Johnston – Manager of Business Development and Marketing for City of Brampton
1 Comment »
Ontario Cross-border Technology Innovation Ecosystem Study
Are you a Founder, Advisor, Investor or Service Provider?
The study will help you understand how your network can better be utilized and grown to result in start-up funding success.
If you are or have advised, founded, consulted, invested in or provided a service to atleast one Ontario based technology/media start-up over the last five years, please fill out and share our survey: http://bit.ly/pQENCd.
A copy of the final report will be sent to you.
- Canada’s VC Blueprint: Review in Global Context with Olav Sorenson, Yale School of Management
- Coral CEA and the Digital Media Zone build on an ecosystem to expand Ontario’s software capabilities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers participation confirmed
- GrandBanks Capital participation confirmed
- FreshBooks participation confirmed
- RT @fredwilson: Fred Wilson, Joanna Wilson, Amy Batchelor and Brad Field are matching all donations made to the NILC up to $20,000 https://… 2 days ago
- RT @chrishogg: "Diversity isn't a vanity metric. It's valuable for any business looking to scale globally." Great post @allenlau https://t.… 2 days ago
- RT @tobi: Shopify's 2016: shopify.com/2016 1 week ago
- RT @thecreativeindp: David Byrne on not being afraid to fail indp.co/2iLJchJ https://t.co/It7pbKRnJE 1 month ago
- RT @bholly: There are no words... a horrible tragedy made worse by timing. I knew Geoff from #YYZtech ow.ly/Zpct307sqKw & https://t.c… 2 months ago